Hauptgebäude der Basalt AG
Linzhausenstraße 20, 53545 Linz am Rhein
Numerous buildings in Linz were planned by the architects Heinrich Mattar and Eduard Scheler, who had offices in Cologne, Munich and Linz on the Rhine. From 1913 to the mid-1950s, administration buildings, factories, villas and residential buildings with characteristic architecture were built here. The main client in Linz was Basalt-Actien-Gesellschaft, founded in 1888, which was the most important employer in the region at the time. In 1922, the impressive head office of the BAG was completed on Linzhausenstrasse. All architectural parts in the outer area of the monumental neo-baroque building with a mansard roof are made of basaltine, the artificial stone produced by the BAG. The south-east facade facing the station is dominated by imposing columns, on the Rhine side two huge tritons guard the wide flight of stairs to the main portal with balcony. Inside the building, filigree ceiling paintings and pillars and door frames covered with marble-like artificial stone are impressive.