Hermann-zu-Wied-Kirche

Am Kirchberg, 56567 Neuwied-Niederbieber

The four-storey tower with the rhomboid helmet and the square, internally cross-vaulted choir of today's Protestant parish church originate - as the inner and outer style details show - from a late Romanesque church building erected in the 13th century.

The four-story tower with the diamond-shaped helmet and the square, internally cross-vaulted choir of today's Protestant parish church originate - as the inner and outer style details show - from a late Romanesque church building erected in the 13th century, which in turn must have had a predecessor, since Niederbieber was already mentioned as a parish in 1204. The patronage of the church - probably consecrated to Mary - was held by the Isenburgers, but since 1340 at the latest by the Counts of Wied, for whom the church served as a burial place from about 1450 to about 1580. Under the altar was buried in 1552 Count Hermann zu Wied, Archbishop of Cologne, Elector and Reformer, who died at Burgwied. The heraldic gravestones of his parents are still present. Towards the end of the 15th century, the old nave was replaced by a three-nave and two-week vaulted building with an almost square ground plan. In later times the central nave and the northern side aisle were extended to the west, the gallery was enlarged and the side windows were changed. Since then the church has had its present appearance. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hermann-zu-Wied-Kirche

56567 Neuwied-Niederbieber Am Kirchberg
Hermann-zu-Wied-Kirche
Am Kirchberg
56567 Neuwied-Niederbieber

Phone: (0049) 2631 71202
E-mail: ev.kirche-niederbieber@t-online.de
Web: http://www.neuwied.de/ev-pfarrkirche0.html

Plan route