Historischer Marktplatz Linz am Rhein
Marktplatz 14, 53545 Linz am Rhein
The market square is the centre of the old town, framed by a circle of houses dating from five centuries.
The fountain “Ratsbrunnen” represents the people and the council. It should remind the politicians, that the people always keep an eye on their work.
The town hall, built from 1517-1527 on the site of a previous building dating from 1461, has always been the seat of the mayor office. The council chapel clock from 1737 can be seen in its stairwell. The 23 bells of its chime play daily different melodies at 12:15 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 6:15 p.m.
The pillar/fountain “Mariensäule” from 1878 reminds the council chapel (Madonna chapel) which was built in 1460 and demolished in 1818.