Esther-Bejarano-Straße 1, 56068 Koblenz
“A young museum for young people“. The museum, which only opened in September 1992, exhibits mainly contemporary French art. Its lively educational department offers special programmes and resources for all ages to compliment the current exhibitions. These include guided tours, workshops and concerts.
As early as 1985, on the occasion of the awarding of the Culture Prize of the City of Koblenz, Prof. Dr. Dr. hc. mult. Peter Ludwig presented his vision of a museum for contemporary art at the Deutsches Eck, between the Kaiser Wilhelm Monument and the Kastor Church. In 1992, his vision became reality in his home town. Since then, the Ludwig Museum, supported by the city of Koblenz, has been housed in the Deutschherrenhaus, a former bailiwick of the Teutonic Order dating from the 12th century. Four floors are available for the Ludwig Collection and changing exhibitions. As early as 1985, an expert hearing agreed on the formation of a focus on Western European, especially French, art. The collection focuses on the period after 1945 up to current positions and includes, among others, works by Pablo Picasso, Jean Dubuffet, Wols, Pierre Soulages and Serge Poliakoff as classics of modern art in France up to the "Nouveaux Réalistes" or the movement "Figuration libre". The Ludwigmuseum uniquely provides a link to contemporary, primarily French art and benefits from its connection to the Peter and Irene Ludwig Foundation and its collections in numerous national and international museums.