Oberstraße 45, 55422 Bacharach
The building, now known as the Posthof, was built in the 16th century. The Posthof is made up of different parts of the building. The elongated street side is striking, which is divided by two oriels and a mighty gate passage. Through this passageway one gets to the inner courtyard, which is surrounded by several parts of the building. Through the former remise, which today accommodates a restaurant, one gets to the Winand tower. This tower was built by Winand Ort, a church owner born in 1371 in Steeg. Winand Ort (also known as Winand von Steeg) was parish priest in Bacharach from 1421 to 1438. It is also thanks to him that the Werner Chapel was completed after decades of construction work had been halted. Particularly noteworthy in the Winand Tower are the 15th-century wall paintings inside the tower, which are still clearly visible today. Equally remarkable is the wooden spiral staircase mounted in an open corner of the building. After the Posthof had been temporarily owned by the Electoral Palatinate, the building's postal history began in 1724 with the establishment of a Thurn- und Taxis postal administration. The Bacharach post office was still located here until 1987. Life was already pulsating in the Posthof, the heart of Bacharach, in the 19th century. The European aristocracy had a rendezvous here.