This ruined, High Gothic church standing above the town, appears delicate and filigree. Work began shortly after 1287. It was erected after the murder of a boy called Werner. The Jewish community in Oberwesel were blamed for his death - an accusation which was completly unfounded. During the ensuing riots, forty people were killed. In the wake of this program a chapel was erected in Werner´s memory and people made pilgrimages to the grave of Werner who was buried there. The chapel is a well-known symbol of Rhine Romanticism.