The two bergfrieds lying opposite each other are a special feature of this castle complex in Bacharach-Steeg. The upper and lower parts of the castle were respectively secured by a bergfried, and the two towers are still today a dominant feature of the ruin. Stahlberg Caste was founded shortly before 1155 by the Archbishopric of Cologne, but later came into the ownership of the count palatines of Wittelsbach from 1243. Stahleck Castle and Stahlberg Castle formed the backbone of the southern defence line of the “Bacharach Empire”. Today, Stahlberg Castle is a popular hiking destination. The complex, which is open to the public, is accessible through the Stahlberg-Schleife - a hiking path going from Bacharach through to Stahlberg and back - as well as through the RheinBurgenWeg trail. The untouched grounds of the ruins and unchanged mediaeval to early modern remains exercise a special fascination on all those who cast their eyes on them.