Blücherstraße 1, 55422 Bacharach
The late Romanesque gallery basilica was built around 1230 and has since then been a dominant feature of the medieval townscape of Bacharach. The narrow square between Oberstraße and the mountainside allowed only a short length of the church on the rising terrain.
The ambitious design of St. Peter´s parish church in Bacharach, with its rich ornamentation and lavish west wing, is somewhat unusual for such a building. From 1194 until the Reformation, the church belonged to the Andreas Foundation in Cologne. Most of the present church was built in around 1230/40. The design is clearly based on the early French Gothic style but at the same time, it is a prime example of late Romanesque architecture in Germany.