Schlossstr., 56564 Neuweid
1712: Construction of the palace in simple Baroque style by the architect Johann Julius Rothweil. Two gatehouses added in 1719/20. Two side wings in the same style built in 1745. Classical balcony and pillars of the main building added in 1838. Seat of the Prince of Wied. Left wing contains the private archives of the house of Wied. Entrance gate from 1877, with the Prince’s coat of arms and motto "Fidelitate et Veritate" (In faithfulness and truth)
That the Rhine represents a thoroughly lucrative income source as an important traffic route and a major economic axis was also clear to Count Friedrich III zu Wied in the middle of the 17th century. In 1653, he obtained authorisation from the Emperor to build a city Newen Wiedt on the site of the war-destroyed village of Langendorf. In 1648, he had bought up a complex close beside Langendorf from the Metternich family, which he proceeded to develop as a bastion and already named Newen Wiedt. French troops destroyed this residence in 1694. It was only his son, Count Friedrich Wilhelm who had a new castle built in the shape of a horseshoe according to plans from 1706 in the years 1707-1711, using Versailles as an example. The joining of the two side wings to make up the main building, the Corps de logis, remained undone due to lack of funds. These side wings, built in stages, were only completed in 1756. The complex stamps the cityscape to this day. It is the residence of the Prince’s family today and cannot be visited.